sâmbătă, 19 noiembrie 2011

Nemesis, or We are trapped by our ego


Nemesis

Nemesis
I do have an arch enemy
But it is not a man
It’s not someone who tried to hurt
Or foiled up my plan
It’s not a former confidant
Or dissipated love
It’s not someone with bad intents
Or kindred thoughts thereof
My nemesis is one that’s been
Beside me all along
It’s been my rival through weakness
And through the times I’m strong
It doesn’t care how I am feeling
Or if I’m in the mood
No matter how much I may try
This foe I can’t elude
It took a while before I knew
Exactly who to blame
And recently I’ve come to learn
This adversary’s name
“Ego” is the moniker
That this scourge answers to
With such a simple name it’s stunning
How much it can spew
Selfishness and self-indulgence
Insolence and pride
The Ego’s quick to fire back
With attitude so snide
It only cares about itself
And what it can collect
It’s not concerned with concepts like
Acceptance and respect
After years of hiding in
The shadows of my life
My nemesis came in full view
Amid a string of strife
Only then could I discern
This bandit of my peace
It grew strong with hate I fed
But now it would decrease
No longer would I focus on
Myself and my own view
I stunted it by cutting off
The pride from which it grew
The less I took things personally
The more my Ego shrank
The more that I gave of myself
The more its leverage sank
It’s at the point where now whenever
Something is not right
My nemesis can barely gather
Strength to cast its plight
Just know this, the only way
You’ll ever see your foe
Is not the way you’d think, with eyes
There’s just one way to show
It’s that feeling that you get
When you have been offended
It’s the fluster that you feel
When your point is contended
Just remember why that is
And why it shouldn’t be
The Ego stokes the fire with
The folks that don’t agree
Keep your nemesis in check
And don’t let it run loose
Only when you let things go
Will your Ego reduce
                             Miro

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu